Saturday, February 8, 2014

Maps: We're going digital and paper

Again, Life Remotely  has been a great source of information for us while we prepare for our epic adventure. We opted to use our ~5 year old Garmin GPS in combination with printed maps. Our Garmin has maps of the US and Canada already installed, but we've noticed our US maps are quite out of date. Probably the same is true for the Canadian maps.

It turns out you can download open source maps of the US and most areas of the world for free here. We bought an SD card and simply placed the map files on that, popped it into our GPS, and voila! Ok, it actually took me awhile to figure out the whole process, but I figured it out eventually.

We also followed Life Remotely's advice and purchased paper maps for Mexico/Cenral/South America from a German map making company. They had a quick turn around with the maps. We received them within 2 weeks of placing the order. Hopefully they are worth the $150 investment.

One more thing to check off our prep to-do list.

1 comment:

  1. I had maps of North and South America brought to my classroom from storage so that I can have my students follow your travels. Now I'm looking for for some (not as large) that I can put up at home to follow myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete